Monday, April 2, 2012

Across Lines and Barriers

As the subject implies, this is one of those posts. My pal Eric P referenced me the other day, and I feel I ought to do the same. While I don't necessarily agree with my amigo EP's view on friendship (I think some people have friends regardless of whether or not they feel cooler than them sometimes), I do agree in some ways, as I think my tomodachi Extended Play is a pretty cool guy.
But anyway, the other lines to cross, those of language! In pun form, of course. I was busy playing an untranslated Japanese fighting game today, and each match is called a "mission", and when you fail, the narrator will say "ミッション 失敗 だ/ 'Misshon Shippai da", which means, unsurprisingly, mission failed. However, "shippai da", especially when said dropping the long "i" in "shi" as the narrator does, sounds an awful lot like spider.
Let's just say those damn mission spiders hounded me to no end today, ruining my chances at success.

No comments:

Post a Comment